attractionpasses.co.uk - online broker of attraction tickets, theme park passes, sightseeing tours and excursions

Wednesday 15 January 2014

Murray given night match in round two

Andy Murray should avoid the worst of the heat in round two of the Australian Open as he will take on France's Vincent Millot in the night session on Thursday.

The temperature reached 41C for the Wimbledon champion's opening win over Go Soeda on Monday, and similar temperatures are expected on day four.

Murray will play Millot in the second night match on Rod Laver Arena at around 20:30 local time (09:30 GMT), but it is still likely to be far from comfortable.

The temperature has remained as high as 36C during the previous two evening sessions.

As well as the heat, Murray is also continuing his return after back surgery, with just three competitive matches under his belt since the US Open last September.

"In these conditions you want to win fast," said the fourth seed. "Whether I've played a lot of matches or not, every player would want to get off the court as quickly as possible.

"I'm well aware if I go further in the tournament the matches are going to get longer and tougher.

"I'm still waiting to see every day how I'm going to wake up. I'm confident that I'm going to be OK.

"But these tournaments over best-of-five-set matches on the hard courts, over two weeks, it's tough on the body."

Millot is something of an unknown quantity. He is ranked 267 and claimed his first Grand Slam main-draw victory when he beat Wayne Odesnik over five sets on Tuesday.

"I know he's left handed," said Murray. "I haven't played or practised against him before.

"I haven't seen any of his matches, so I'll try to watch a bit of video of his match from Tuesday to see how he plays."

His mother, Judy, saw some of 27-year-old Millot's five-set first-round match on Tuesday.

"He's small and plays quite far behind the baseline," Judy told BBC Radio 5 live sports extra. "He was struggling to hold serve in the fifth set but he's a runner.

"He won't be used to playing at this level or in front of such a big crowd, but he has nothing to lose and that might play to his advantage."
Millot is relishing the prospect of playing a two-time Grand Slam champion.

"It's probably going to be the biggest match for me [of my life]," he told BBC Sport.

"I had to play three rounds to qualify and all the players in qualifying play well, so it's tough to be here. It's going to be tough in the next round.
"I love Australia - it's the tournament that I like the most. I'm a little bit tired but I'm excited to play this match. I have a day off to recover.
"I had a little bit of a back problem but that was just because I was tight. It's nothing."

Murray and Millot will follow the opening night-session match between defending champion Victoria Azarenka and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova at 08:00 GMT.

Maria Sharapova, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer are among those in action during the day session, which begins at 00:00 GMT.

You can listen to live commentary of Murray v Millott on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra.
www.benlatestnews.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Technology

Life & Style

 
Web Statistics