Wales captain Sam Warburton expects to be available for the Six Nations opener against Italy in Cardiff on 1 February.
The 25-year-old flanker has been out since the end of November with shoulder damage but is set to return.
"I think I'll be available for selection. I need to have a chat with [coach] Warren Gatland and the medics early next week to decide what's the best thing to do," Warburton said.
"We have a chance to win three Six Nations in a row and create history."
Warburton's lack of game time while recovering from his injury means he may play a match for his regional team Cardiff Blues before taking part in the Six Nations.
But the return to fitness of their skipper will give Wales a boost as they seek their third successive Six Nations title, a feat never accomplished by any side in the tournament's history.
"We always look forward to the Six Nations, it's what you're measured on. It's the one we always look forward to," Warburton said.
"This is my fifth championship now and I love playing in them."
Wales will be without Ospreys forward Ryan Jones, who led Wales in Warburton's injury absence during part of last year's campaign, because of injury.
They will also be without Lions centre Jonathan Davies for most of the tournament because of a shoulder injury, while prop Gethin Jenkins remains an injury doubt
After facing Italy in the Millennium Stadium, Wales travel to Ireland the following weekend.
Gatland's men then face France at the Millennium Stadium on 21 February in a Friday night match, before rounding off their campaign in March away to England and then against Scotland in Cardiff.
www.benlatestnews.com
Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Home »
» Warburton set to make Wales opener
Warburton set to make Wales opener
06:01
No comments
Related Posts:
TECHNOLOGY NEWS: Demand for personal computers still erratic, outlook unstableSAN FRANCISCO/SEATTLE (Reuters) - Improved demand for personal computers after years of declines may not last as emerging markets remain weak and recent corporate upgrades in the United States and Europe may prove fleeting.Th… Read More
TOP NEWS: Israel deploys more missile interceptors, Gaza death toll up to 125GAZA/JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel rushed an eighth missile interceptor battery into service on Saturday to counter stronger-than-expected rocket fire from Gaza as the military pounded positions in the Palestinian enclave for … Read More
BRAZIL WORLD CUP 2014 PLAY OFF (Third Place): Brazil 0-3 Netherlands FULL TIMEBrazil defensive woes resurface quickly against Dutch. BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazil's defensive woes were again evident early in their World Cup third-place playoff against the Netherlands on Saturday when skipper Thiago … Read More
TECHNOLOGY NEWS: Female Yahoo executive sued for sexual harassmentReuters) - A high-level female Yahoo Inc executive has been sued in California by a woman who worked under her and is accusing her former boss of sexual harassment and wrongful termination. Maria Zhang, a senior director of … Read More
TECHNOLOGY Apple iPhone a danger to China national security: state mediaBEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese state media on Friday branded Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPhone a threat to national security because of the smartphone's ability to track and time-stamp user locations. A report by broadcaster … Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment